Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ben...again

Mr. Benjamin just can't catch a break.  He was recently diagnosed with pnemonia and was given steroids and antibiotics to help him recover.  The steroids make him a little nutty but we noticed an improvement with his breathing almost right away.  He finished his 10 day course of ammoxicilin and the next day....BAM!!!  He's got the hives.  Fantastic! 
I called the doctor on call who told me to give Ben a certain dose of Benadryl and just watch him.  I'm also allergic to cilins so I knew what to look out for.  By the next day, his hives were still there and he was swelling up.  The 2nd day was worse with so much swelling that he couldn't walk and kept saying "I hurt, mama."  So miserable!
That night was rough.  He couldn't sleep.  I couldn't sleep.  I brought him into bed with us to try to comfort him.  It was not fun.
By the morning I decided to call the doctor.  He was like an infant.  I had to carry him everywhere.  I couldn't even hold his own sippy cup. 
The doctor told me he has "Serum Sickness."  Basically he's allergic to cilins.  He was put back on steroids to clear it up.  He's feeling better, but he's back to being a bit of a spaz.  Oy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment