Monday, July 1, 2013

Potty Training Boot Camp

It was inevitable.  It had to be done.  The boys had to be potty trained.  Ben sort of potty trained himself in March and has been about 75% with it since then.  The boys are going to pre-school in the fall and I wanted to get started early to ensure they would be more comfortable with it by the time they got to school.

We woke up Monday morning and we sang the "Bye Bye Diaper" song (very similar to the Bye Bye Binkie Song).  They threw their diapers away and they put underpants on.  When they came downstairs, I announced it was "Potty Day".

I had my supplies ready...
Extra towels
A pee bucket (our bathroom is too far to run back and forth after every 3 drops)
Sippy cups and tons of watered down juice

I brought in their beach chairs for them to sit on because I'd rather have them get peed on than the couch.  I also pulled up the throw rug.  The chairs did not last long...

3 potty seats
3 sticker posters

M&M's
Hershey Kisses (I stocked up after Easter)
stickers
tissues
I added toddler wipes to this pile.

underpants
(this wasn't enough...I bought more)
 
We loosely followed the 3 day method.  I filled them up with water/juice and waited for the pee to start flowing.  I kept them in the living room all day for 3 days straight.  They even ate in the living room. 
It took about 3 hours before they (Nate and Sam) "got" it.  The successes started happening and I felt so much better.  It was super stressful early on because I was by myself and they were peeing everywhere.  I kept wiping it up and changing underpants.  I couldn't leave the room for a minute.  Luckily I wore "yucky" clothes.
When they went down for nap, I did put a diaper on them.  This is against the rules, but the lady who wrote the program doesn't have triplets and I needed a break!
After nap, the diapers went back into the bucket and the underpants went back on.  It went much smoother after nap.  There were still accidents, but fewer. 
Dave came home and I ran out of the house like my tush was on fire!  When I got home after 1 1/2 hours of blissful peace getting my nails done, he said something to the effect of "I don't know how you did that all day."  Um, yep..it was nuts!
They went down for bed and we put diapers on them again.  I'm not even going to attempt that for awhile.  They're still in cribs.  There's no bathroom upstairs.  It's not going to be easy.
 
The most memorable part of day 1 was that there was a tornado watch in the middle of nap time.  I had to WAKE THEM UP!  AHHH!!!  I was hoping for a relaxing nap myself...boo!!!
 
Day 1 stats:
At nap time:
14 pair of underpants
 53 stickers
51 m&ms
2 Hershey kisses
 
At bed time:
110 stickers
21 pair of underwear
6 Hershey kisses
100+ m&ms
 100oz of liquid consumed
Photo: Day 1 stats:
110 stickers, 21 pair of underwear, 6 Hershey kisses, 100+ m&ms, 100oz of liquid consumed.
 
Day 2 was pretty much the same.  I was super scared because everything I've read said that day 2 was worse than day 1.  I couldn't even imagine anything worse than day 1.  I just prayed that it would go better!
 
They woke up and we got rid of the diapers and put underpants on right away.  They also didn't wear shorts for the entire 3 days because I didn't need to do any additional laundry!
It went smoother than I had anticipated.  I guess that's what happens when you're prepared for the worst.
 
Day 2 Stats:
Nap Time:
5 pair of underwear
37 stickers
36 m&ms
1 Hershey kiss
1 pair of vinyl gloves
6 Clorox wipes
1/2 can Lysol
 
(There was a pee can incident, hence the Lysol, etc)
 
Bed Time:
52 stickers
10 pair of underwear
3 Hershey kisses
50+ m&ms
75 oz of liquid consumed
2 vinyl gloves
8 Clorox wipes
1/2 can Lysol
1 pair of yoga pants
 
Yes...yoga pants...
Photo: Somebody got a little too comfy on my lap...
I let somebody get comfy on my lap...boo!
 
 
The stats definitely show that they're getting the hang of it.  Few accidents and more successes.  I was feeling pretty proud of myself!
Day 3 they woke up and it was the same thing.  Diapers off and underpants on.
 
We even had helpers so I could do laundry and dishes and get out of the living room...Yay!
Day 3 Nap time Stats:
3 pair of underpants
41 stickers
1 Hershey kiss
64 oz of liquid consumed
2 amazing helpers!
 
Day 3 was the 3rd of July and the town next to our was having fireworks.  We decided to brave it and go to them.  We got them dressed...shorts and all...and got the potty chair ready in the car and went for it.
We survived!  No accidents!!!
 
It's been a week and things are still going well!  (I'm almost afraid to write that).  Nate and Sam still aren't pooping in the potty, but I'm still very proud of their progress!  We've been to a parade, multiple fireworks shows, and a Baptism.  Yay, boys!!!
 
 

1 comment: